Monday, July 26, 2010

Possible Selves: Solo show at The Playhouse

I am also working on creating new work for my first solo show, opening October 1, 2010, at The Playhouse Annex Gallery. Here is the first draft of the essay to accompany the show:

Possible Selves: an exploration of identity


What is identity? How does it form? What psychological, physical and social environmental elements comprise identity? How does it grow and change, yet the basis remain the same?

I intend to explore the question of the formation of identity through images of architectural elements built and torn down. My background as a fine furniture maker and experience in carpentry has helped me understand how structures are built; the interior frame work and the numerous joints, connections and fastenings that are necessary for a structure to function properly. Much like a person is built, our identity is made up of numerous connections, experiences and turning points to produce a specific personality.

The neo-Erikson identity status paradigm, largely developed by James Marcia, focuses upon the twin concepts of experimentation and commitment in identity formation; beginning with our temperament, an individual experiments with elements of personal and social traits, either rejecting or committing to a desired behavior or concept. I intend to explore this idea with six to eight images, all beginning with the same architectural base. Each image will be built up and torn down using cut up photographs of local architectural elements and buildings. I will take both digital and manual photographs using a digital camera and a 1972 Minolta SRT 200. I will isolate and cut up the photographs, then reassemble them, beginning from the same architectural base. I shall use paint and ink to accentuate areas and tracing paper, tissue paper, vellum and other media to build up texture in certain areas. I may also draw scenes or images of my past as the background sky or use text to give the viewer a sense of what personality concept is being rejected or committed to.

3 comments:

  1. Love the blog!

    Congrats on taking this step in your quest to expand your art.

    I look forward to more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fascinating! Can't wait to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not really familiar with this theory of identity formation, but these basic elements that you have outlined both appeal to me and raise objections/ questions for me... So you have me thinking already! wish that I could be there to see how you bring this all together- it's such an unusual and creative way of exploring the issue/telling a story.

    ReplyDelete