Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Considering I am brand new to this blogging thing, please forgive any transgressions I may unknowingly make. I have no news for the day, except I composed a letter of expression of interest for the owner of Old Tyme Antiques, a shop on the north side that I have approached about borrowing a Victorian pie crust table from Maria's production of "Aunt Judy". I really enjoy this gig, unpaid though it is. I'm excited to see the show.

I also sent off an image of previous work to the editor of HERE magazine, for publication in the Art Listings section. The listing is for Limits of Love. Here's the thing: I felt I should quickly throw together some new collage on this theme, so the image and the listing matched up. I took a chance and showed it to an artist friend and asked for honest feedback...I'm glad I did. Not only did I junk that collage, but our conversation spun me off in a new (and hopefully better) direction. That is one of the primary elements I miss from art school: critique. Sounds crazy, I know. Everyone hates those horrendous, torturous public crits at the end of a project, or end of term. I don't miss the formal evisceration, but I do miss the interaction with other artists that can help crystallize or catalyze new ideas. So thank you to Melissa, NSCAD grad of classic rendering. I will be calling on you again to give it to me straight.

On the subject of the Limits of Love work, I have to say it's still all in my head. I mean, I'm kind of stuck. There are some pretty cool images floating around my head but I have no idea how to create them on paper. Well, that's not entirely true...it's just that the things I'm picturing would require a lot more time, money and planning than I have done at the moment. More photography, with that macro lens I don't have. Stretching bread dough between his hands, pulling it tight so it is translucent and fragile. Twisted up pages of the Bible, shaped into a heart form, photographed and how and where does the story go? A large heart organ being manipulated into a square box, portions squeezed and indecipherable. But how do I translate that to paper? That's my problem: translating what I see onto paper.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've got the right stuff in that beautiful head of yours - love the imagery! I know you'll figure out how to translate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, I appreciate your support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will come. Roll it around in your head a bit more, something should pop out.

    ReplyDelete