Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Stories We Lose When Not Looking

Discouragement is such an obstacle in life. It's everywhere; it's in my lazy fingers not willing to write the stories that pulse through my head. Try to overcome it, try to be connected, just try.

Some stories I have neglected to relate over the holidays. I made an old man cry. He is the last surviving Elder For Life at St. Paul's, elected in '60-something, and was in to make a donation to his beloved traditional church. I was kind to him, served him tea while he waited for Cathy, the office administrator, to return from her lunch break. I sat and talked with him, asked him questions about his life, answered his. It was December 31 and the office was closing down early that day. I could easily have pushed him on his way; don't bother me, I'm going on vacation. However, I find value in these encounters with people, real people who have lived a long and worthwhile life. I left him in Cathy's capable hands to take care of his business, but passed him on his way out the door a few minutes later. He had a big smile on his face and told me 'Happy New Year, dear. Thank you. I have never been treated so well at this church!' Then he hugged me and when he pulled back, there was actually a tear on his cheek. That moment made me realize that we are important. We all have a precious gift to give to each other: respect.
It makes me think of another woman in the congregation. Some of our members are alone now. Due to age or life circumstances, a few are without close family and seemingly without purpose anymore. This woman has the classic name of a queen, or some proud heroine in a novel about women changing history, but she comes nearly every day for companionship and purpose. Out there in the world she has a very small ripple effect, but inside the walls of St. Paul's she is important and respected and I feel privileged to play a role in that transformation. That's what Jesus does for us too - transforms us from paupers to queens in an instant, through no act of our own. I embrace her because I'm embraced as well.
Don't be fooled by my appearance. I may look like I'm just pushing a mop or repeating the same chores day after day, but in reality, I am important. I help others any way I can. I take pride in my work. I make a special effort to be humble and reverent when talking to you. I love and respect as much as I can.

1 comment:

  1. I love this, Marsha. What a great reminder to all of us!

    ReplyDelete