Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Learning about myself, my world

I find my creativity is cyclical and goes something like this (starting at a random point in the circle - since it is cyclical there is no beginning step): curiosity about the world, followed by observation of the world and the inherent beauty all around me - the buildings, the colours, the crows scrambling in their flying cities...I feel tuned in and intimate with life. I feel connected and special and energetic. I wouldn't say I'm 'channeling' the energy around me because that implies some kind of harnessing, or focusing when really I feel as if I'm caught up in a current that is flowing through me, lighting up my dim bulb perspective again. I begin to read meaningful books; books about questions, theology, philosophy and sometimes motorcycle mechanics come my way and I learn. Learning is intoxicating. Once I begin I don't want to stop, but that desire is also cyclical. And through this learning stage, ideas pop up about subject or material and usually I have several false starts and nothing feels right at the drawing table. Sometimes I give up, sometimes I persist (depends when the deadline is!) but when I hit upon something that works it is like finding the key to the treasure room and I can't get the gold out fast enough. That eureka! moment is precious. I work like crazy, the images consume my thoughts and even as I'm working on one thing I'll have another quick fire 'wonder if I do this...' and the image will take another twist. Because of this method of working, that is - being driven by the material, I can't guarantee what will happen and I can't even guarantee the subject will be as originally intended. After this intense period of creation *read: deadline has been narrowly met*, I don't want to look at that drawing table for a long time. I hibernate, watch tv, give my brain a rest. Slowly I'll come back to life to the life around me, but it's any one's guess how long that will take. Soon enough though, I become curious again, and start noticing again, and the cycle repeats itself....gratefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment