Thursday, April 28, 2011

Don't Walk There At Night

I have the passing of Easter to thank, and some bad news from my father's oncologist for the latest idea forming in my head.
I've been thinking of maybe trying to let inspiration get through my 'nope, i don't wanna do a damn thing right now and that's ok' filter. I live next door to an old cemetery with some very elaborate, architectural stone markers. The place is filled with monuments and ceremony, homage and humility. I know the hardest part of anything is just to start, and my drawing abilities are deplorable now (just like a muscle - you don't use it, you gonna lose it). So, when the weather cooperates, I will go with my three legged stool and cop a squat next to some 'short dead dude' (Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure reference there...) Actually, I'd like to take some rubbings of the stones first; my hands first need to feel the thing before they can understand how to draw it. Do other artists operate this way? Hmm. Honestly the thought of drawing terrifies me, because I've tried and failed recently....but I could do it once, so I can do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment